Monday 23 January 2023

Ninth Norman Lloyd Scholar announced!

Benjamin Condon (pictured below) is the latest recipient of the Dr. Norman Lloyd RSC Belgium scholarship at Cardiff University. Benjamin is in his first year at Cardiff on a MCheM degree course. The Norman Lloyd Scholarship is given to a new student in the Cardiff School of Chemistry who is of high academic standing and resident in Wales.

Benjamin wrote to the section following his award:

"I am writing to express my heartfelt gratitude to the Royal Society of Chemistry Belgium and the family of Dr Norman Lloyd for the Chemistry scholarship award which I have received. This generous award has not only provided me with much-needed financial support, but has also given me the confidence and motivation to excel in my studies as a first year MChem student at Cardiff School of Chemistry.

The money provided will allow me to further my chemistry skills by attending workshops and placement opportunities over the summer break period along with additional support for purchasing reading material and technology.

I have always considered studying chemistry after gaining a CREST gold award for the Welsh engineering education scheme whilst partaking in a chemical engineering project for Vale Nickel company. When redesigning a hydrogen heater for this company I gathered an interest in chemistry over my other science subjects. Since then, I have become a finalist in the South Wales Chemical Olympiad competition and also received a Seren Award for a project focussed on using hydrogen to produce energy.

Receiving this award has certainly inspired me to work even harder to achieve my goals in this field. I am committed to making the most of this opportunity to help me complete my chemistry degree at Cardiff. After university, I hope to pursue a career in medicine allowing me to help tackle some of the most pressing health challenges using my chemical knowledge.

Thank you again for your support and belief in me. I am truly honoured to be a recipient of this scholarship."

The scholarship

The Norman Lloyd scholarship was set up by RSC Belgium in collaboration with Norman’s family and Cardiff University in memory of our old friend and supporter Norman Lloyd. Norman was himself a student at an institution that is now part of the university. The funds raised provide an annual scholarship of £1,000 for an undergraduate student, usually in their first year of study, at the Cardiff School of Chemistry.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.