Tuesday 10 November 2020

Seventh Norman Lloyd Scholar announced

Cara Watkins (pictured below) has been selected as the seventh recipient of a Dr Norman C. Lloyd Scholarship at Cardiff University. Cara has just started her first year at Cardiff on a MCheM degree course. The Norman Lloyd Scholarship is given to a new student in the Cardiff School of Chemistry who is of high academic standing and resident in Wales.

Cara was absolutely delighted to be selected for the award.

"I am very grateful to be selected as the beneficiary of the Dr Norman C Lloyd Scholarship for this year," says Cara. "As an aspiring chemist I believe this will help me significantly invest in the resources I need to complete my degree. It is an honour to be associated with Dr Norman C Lloyd as he has achieved many great things and is an inspiration for Welsh students."

"I first started to consider a career in chemistry after watching a detective drama when I was younger," she continues. "It was through this that I was introduced to how chemistry is much more than just reactions and elements and opened my eyes to how chemistry can be used in areas outside of research science. Ever since then I've dreamt of becoming a forensic scientist and I believe a degree in chemistry will bring me closer to achieving this. I'm sure that the skills and experience I gain through my degree will play a pivotal role in my success in becoming a CSI."

Our best wishes to Cara and our congratulations on her selection for the scholarship. We will hope to follow her progress with interest and wish her every success for the future.

The scholarship

The Norman Lloyd scholarship was set up by RSC Belgium in collaboration with Norman’s family and Cardiff University in memory of our old friend and supporter Norman Lloyd. Norman was himself a student at an institution that is now part of the university. The funds raised provide an annual scholarship of £1,000 for an undergraduate student, usually in their first year of study, at the Cardiff School of Chemistry.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.