Thursday 9 January 2020

Sixth Norman Lloyd Scholar selected

RSC Belgium is proud to announce that the sixth recipient of the Dr Norman C. Lloyd Scholarship at Cardiff University has been selected and is enjoying their first year at the university. Annabel Hendley-Jones started her MCheM degree in Chemistry at the end of September.

The Norman Lloyd Scholarship is given to new students to the Cardiff School of Chemistry who are of high academic standing and a resident of Wales.


In an email thanking the section for sponsoring her award Annabel (pictured above) wrote:

"I want to first thank the friends and family of Dr. Norman Lloyd, the Royal Society of Chemistry Belgium and the Cardiff University School of Chemistry for the honour of being the recipient of this generous scholarship. This scholarship will help me tremendously to invest in learning resources and tuition fees I will require for my upcoming years at university and has given me the extra initiative to do well during this time," she said.

"I had always had a keen interest in the challenging content of chemistry and its widespread importance to the world and always enjoyed the cohesion of practical lab work and academic lessons in school. Equal in importance was continuing to live and study in Wales as I have huge affection for the history and culture of my country, so Cardiff was the obvious combination of this and chemistry for me. After my degree I am looking to enter the energy industry looking at renewable materials," she continued.

"Once again, I would like to extend my greatest thanks to everyone involved with this scholarship, it was a big surprise to be chosen out of so many other talented students but also a privilege to learn about Dr. Norman Lloyd’s fantastic achievements as a chemist and inspired me greatly," Anabel concluded.

We all wish Annabel every success in her studies at Cardiff.

The scholarship
The Norman Lloyd scholarship was set up by RSC Belgium in collaboration with Norman’s family and Cardiff University in memory of our old friend and supporter Norman Lloyd. Norman was himself a student at an institution that is now part of the university. The funds raised provide an annual scholarship of £1,000 for an undergraduate student, usually in their first year of study, at the Cardiff School of Chemistry.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.